Friday, September 19, 2008

Children are Born Persons

It is a funny thing but teaching and learning are not the same thing. As a mother and a teacher I constantly fall into the trap of thinking if I konk someone over the head with information enough times they will learn. On the other hand, I err in assuming that if I don't teach it they won't learn it.

Yesterday was our first day of school and Andrew, who didn't have a reading lesson all summer and is still in the phonics stage, somehow had a giant leap forward in his reading abilities.


I will never forget the first time my oldest took a standardized test. He was in 3rd grade and scored highest in the subjects we hadn't even studied, like science.


Then there are the times when I throw out questions to the children and they know the answer without having been taught. Ladies, as M-MV says, "Let's not make this harder than it has to be."
And don't forget, As Charlotte has said, "Children are born persons."

No comments: